Use smart content to insert custom product information (such as recommendations, cart contents and order history) or RSS feeds into any email content block.
Configuring smart content
To add smart content, first select a content block, then hit the logic tab in the sidebar.
This will open the Content Logic window. Choose the Smart Content tab and turn smart content on:
Choosing a data source
Now that the content block has smart content switched on, information can be injected from your chosen data source.
Data source options include:
- Known product interests
- Products from last order
- Products added to cart
- Current cart contents
- Last abandoned cart
- Recent bestsellers
- All-time bestsellers
- RSS feed (for blog content)
Pathfinder Pro users can also choose:
- Predicted product interests
- Most profitable product recommendations
- Upsell suggestions for last order
- Upsell suggestions for cart contents
Tip: Pathfinder will sometimes use Pro smart content when designing emails. If your account is on the starter plan, a fallback option will be used instead.
Filtering your data source
You'll now see further options that allow you to narrow down your data selection. Options vary based on data source, but may include:
- Category filter - only show products from a specific category
- Time filter - only show records which occurred in a specific time period
- Maximum - limit the selection to a maximum number of records (most recent records appear first, leave blank to include all records)
For example, if you choose "products added to cart" as a data source, you may wish to only show products that the contact added to the cart within a specific category, in the last seven days:
Inserting smart content
Fields can be injected from the chosen data source selection using personalisation tags.
Note that when you've connected a data source to a content block, a list of smart content fields will appear at the bottom of the personalisation menu when editing content in that block:
You can insert these fields anywhere in the block, just like you'd use regular personalisation tags.
If a contact only has one matching record (e.g. a product) in a data data source, these fields will simply replace with the data for that record (AKA product). However, if a contact has more than one matching record, the content block will repeat once for every record.
Note that if your data source doesn't show any records for a contact, the content block won't display.
- Contact 1 has one matching product - content block displays once
- Contact 2 has three matching products - content block displays three times, with each repeat showing data from a different product
- Contact 3 has no matching record - content block is hidden
Example email - order confirmation:
Pro Tip: Use Pathfinder Pro's conditional content feature to show or hide alternative content blocks if a data source is empty.
To make smart image replacements, click the image upload button and change the source link to a personalisation tag that links to the record's image.
This is [[prod_image]] for product data sources and [[item::image]] for RSS data sources:
Note: A placeholder image will be displayed in the editor.
In multi-column content blocks, multiple smart content repetitions will happen before the block is duplicated. In these cases, the repeated column(s) will become disabled when smart content is turned on, so only the first column can be edited: